Why was Connection of Friends created?
To address the limited programming available to provide a community-based program where teenagers and adults with special needs can routinely go to socialize and participate in life skill, volunteer and fitness activities on a daily basis and Saturday evenings.
Who are your participants?
Connection of Friends provides a place for special needs teenagers, ages 16 and older, and special needs adults to engage in social, life skill, volunteer and fitness activities on a daily basis and Saturday evenings. Participants do not “age out” of our program.
What are your programming hours?
Participants sign up for 13-week sessions and select specific days and time options which are filled on a first come, first served basis. Connection of Friends is closed on Sundays and traditional holidays.
Service Hours: Monday-Friday with varied options of:
- 9:00 am-3:00 pm (Tuesday and Friday)
- Noon-6:00 pm (Wednesday and Thursday)
- Noon-3:00 pm (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday)
- 3:00-6:00 pm (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday)
- Noon-3:00 pm or
- Dinner & Dancing with Friends from 3-6:00 pm and capped at 4 participants
TUESDAY HOURS—Community Volunteering
- 9:00 am-3:00 pm–capped at 5 participants
WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY HOURS
- Noon-6:00 pm
- Noon-3:00 pm—capped at 6 participants
- 3:00-6:00 pm—capped at 6 participants
FRIDAY HOURS—Community Volunteering
- Friday Hours are 9:00 am-3:00 pm—capped at 5 participants
SATURDAY NIGHT SOCIALS
- 6:00-9:00 pm—capped at 9 participants
Staffing Ratios and Fees
COF principally operates on a 3 participant to 1 staff/volunteer. However, Connection of Friends is committed to providing individualized support for those participants in need of additional direction and engagement during week-day programming provided only by paid staff; not volunteers.
How is individualized support determined?
A participant’s staffing ratio is determined after speaking with the required two references and completion of the in-take with the Executive Director and Program Director.
Currently, additional staffing support is limited:
- Monday-Friday: 1 participant who is in need of extra support per 3 or 6 hour session
- Additional support is not available for Saturday Night Socials
Please contact Jamie Hager Lee, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (630) 260-0922 to learn more about our current fees.
Are there any limitations with additional support?
Participants need to be able to toilet independently. All medical conditions will be assessed individually and the Program Director will determine the support needed upon completion of the in-take process.
What is the registration process?
- Sessions are 13-weeks and run consecutively;
- Registrations are filled on a first come, first served basis;
- Four (4) Session Commitments for week-day programming can be made—this is done each spring or families can register every 13-weeks;
- Dinner & Dancing with Friends and Saturday Night Social registration is done each session, (no 4-Session Commitment is available);
- Registration forms are emailed to families;
- Registration forms will highlight how many “spots” are available for each week-day section;
- Payment is either check or cash;
- Payment must accompany all forms.
Contact Jamie Hager Lee, Program Director email@example.com