What’s Next After Transition?
Once transition is completed, Connection of Friends reinforces volunteering skills as well as navigating within the community. Our community outings include off-site volunteering; community lunches and/or desserts and enrichment programs.
In addition to our 3:00-6:00 pm programming options, we offer 2 days from 9:00 am-3:00 pm, (Tuesday and Friday) as well as 3 days from Noon-3:00 pm, (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday). Our Tuesday and Friday programming offers our participants the opportunity to volunteer in the community.
Post-Transition participants are also welcome to sign up for programming later in the day!
Monday–Dinner & Dancing with Friends 3:00-6:00 pm
Wednesday 3:00-6:00 pm
Thursday 3:00-6:00 pm
Volunteering in the community as well as community enrichment activities are an integral part of our programming. Participants work on emerging skills including sorting, folding and stocking shelves.
Community enrichment programming allows participants to experience new locations and navigate successfully in the community. All community enrichment outings have a pre-determined schedule as well as a project and/or activity.
Community lunches and/or desserts allow participants to practice ordering, paying with money, table manners and conversation skills.
Volunteering: DuPage Children’s Museum
Other Community Outings
Volunteer Locations as of April 2019
- DuPage Care Center (laundry room and garden)
- DuPage Children’s Museum
- Glen Ellyn Public Library
- Humanitarian Service Project
- Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans
- Southminster Presbyterian Church, (gardening during the summer)
Community Enrichment Outings
- Glen Ellyn Public Library
- The Morton Arboretum
Glen Ellyn Public Library
The Glen Ellyn Public Library has partnered with Connection of Friends to create interactive and supported library activities which include library scavenger hunts; navigating music and movie catalogs as well as “behind the scenes” library activities. Each library visit is structured with a designated librarian and schedules are provided to participants prior to leaving COF.
In-House Volunteering—Year of Service
Connection of Friends is committed to supporting other agencies throughout the year. Our in-house volunteering is done throughout the week and benefits the following:
- Annual Sock Hop Drive—Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans
- Children’s Book Drive—Humanitarian Service Project
- Christmas Decorations—DuPage Care Center
- Christmas in July Food Drive—People’s Resource Center
- Got a Mitten? Mitten Drive—Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans
- Holiday Cards—DuPage Care Center
- Peel & Sort Crayons—SCARCE
- Placemats—DuPage Pads
- Vegetable Donations from COFs Garden—People’s Resource Center